Regulated Health Professions in Ontario
All regulated health professions in Ontario are governed by the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA), as well as Acts related to those specific professions, such as the Medicine Act, Massage Therapy Act, and Chiropractic Act.
Under the RHPA, a regulatory college is established to oversee each profession and ensure that the applicable health professionals provide their services to the public in a safe and ethical manner that reflects the standards of that profession. The RHPA ensures that health professions in the province are regulated and function in the public interest and ensures that appropriate standards of practice are developed, maintained, and enforced.
At Wise Health Law, we are recognized for our work in health and administrative law. Our founder, Valerie Wise, has practiced health law for over 20 years and is certified as a specialist in Health Law by the Law Society of Ontario. Our team of health lawyers are well-known in the legal, regulatory and health-care communities for our exceptional work and strong relationships that we have cultivated with key players in the medical and legal fields, including regulatory Colleges, regulated health professional associations, HPARB, and others. We are active at the executive level in organizations such as the Ontario Bar Association (Health Law Section and ADR Section), and the Medico-Legal Society of Toronto. We regularly represent regulated health professionals in a variety of legal disputes, and provide guidance through regulatory proceedings.
The Regulated Health Professions
There are currently 26 regulated health professions in Ontario:
- Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
- Chiropody and Podiatry
- Dental Hygiene
- Dental Technology
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Medical Radiation Technology
- Occupational Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture
How We Help
At Wise Health Law, we provide regulated health professionals and organizations with exceptional and skilled support including:
- Representation before their regulatory College including at discipline proceedings;
- Advice or representation for capacity assessors at Consent and Capacity Board hearings;
- Advice or representation for regulated health professionals facing allegations of insurance fraud or billing irregularities;
- Advice or representation regarding Coroner’s investigations or Inquests;
- Advice or representation regarding Public Health Ontario inspections and compliance orders;
- Advice or representation regarding investigations or proceedings before the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority;
- Advice or representation regarding the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board or Health Services Appeal and Review Board;
- Advice or representation regarding employment law issues;
- Advice or representation regarding complaints before the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.
Experienced Health Law Lawyers Providing Legal Guidance and Representation to Regulated Health Professionals
At Wise Health Law, we have more than 30 years of combined experience in representing regulated health professionals and health organizations, including regulated health professional associations. We provide our clients with expert legal guidance and have been recognized for our knowledge and excellent work by regulatory colleges, professional associations, and other lawyers. With offices in both Toronto and Oakville, Ontario we are easily accessible to professionals throughout South-Western Ontario. Contact us online, or at 416-915-4234 for a consultation.