Respected Health Lawyers Representing Capacity Assessors at the Consent and Capacity Board
The Consent and Capacity Board is an independent body, created by the government of Ontario under the Health Care Consent Act. The Board holds hearings to consider issues arising from the exercise of power given to physicians, capacity assessors and substitute decision-makers under a variety of laws including the Health Care Consent Act, the Substitute Decisions Act, the Personal Health Information Protection Act, and the Mental Health Act.
At Wise Health Law, our team of health lawyers is focused on health and administrative law matters, including matters before the Consent and Capacity Board. We have extensive experience advocating for clients at Board proceedings and we provide knowledgeable guidance and skillful representation throughout the process. Our founder, Valerie Wise, has over 20 years of experience in health law, and has been certified as a specialist in Health Law by the Law Society of Ontario. We are active at the executive level in organizations such as the Ontario Bar Association (Health Law Section and ADR Section) and the Medico-Legal Society of Toronto.
How We Help
At Wise Health Law, we represent capacity assessors, including doctors, registered nurses, psychologists, registered social workers, and occupational therapists at Consent and Capacity Board proceedings.
Common issues before the Consent and Capacity Board include:
- Review of a person’s capacity to consent to treatment or admission to a long-term care home or other facility;
- Consideration of the appointment, amendment, or termination of a representative to make decisions on behalf of someone who is not capable of making those decisions for themselves;
- Review of a decision to admit an incapable person to a hospital, psychiatric facility, or long-term care home for the purpose of treatment;
- Review of a substitute decision maker’s compliance with the rules for substitute decision making; and
- Review of a decision to involuntarily detain an individual in a psychiatric hospital or of a Community Treatment Order.
At Wise Health Law, we rely on more than 30 years of combined litigation and health law experience, as well as a deep understanding of legal, ethical, and related issues to provide exceptional guidance and advocacy for our clients in a variety of disputes before the Board.
Knowledgeable Consent and Capacity Board Lawyers
If you are a capacity assessor facing a review of your decision or are involved in another issue before the Consent and Capacity Board, contact the respected health lawyers at Wise Health Law. We will guide you through the Board process, help you understand potential risks and legal implications, and assist you with or skillfully represent you at the proceedings. With offices in both downtown Toronto and Oakville, Ontario we are easily accessible. Contact us online, or at 416-915-4234 for a consultation.